The British Connection has plenty of pre-made goodies for you to buy for loved ones for Valentine’s Day, but we also sell ingredients to help you make your own Valentine’s Victoria Sponge cake!
You may already have some of the basic ingredients, such as butter and eggs, but The British Connection has a traditional sponge mix, along with Hartley’s strawberry jam, to help make baking your cake a little easier!
Here’s what you will need for the cake:
- 2 x 18cm (7″) round sandwich/cake tins
- One box of sponge mix
- 100ml cold water
- 2 medium eggs
- 50g butter
For the filling (as suggested by BBC Good Food):
- Strawberry jam
- 100g butter, softened
- 140g icing sugar, sifted
- a drop of vanilla extract (optional)
- icing sugar, to decorate
- Follow instructions on sponge mix box to make the cake mixture
- Pour the mixture equally between your two cake tins
- Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes until cakes have risen and are golden brown
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool
- For the filling, begin by beating the butter until creamy, then gradually beat in the sugar (and vanilla extract if you choose to use it)
- Spread the butter cream over the bottom of one of your sponge cakes, top it with jam, and sandwich the second sponge cake on top of it.
- Dust with icing sugar to finish it off
Perfect for sharing with friends or baking for a loved one. Enjoy!